Traditional Rock Climbing
Outdoor Rock Climbing
Traditional climbing is the purest form or climbing on the rock or in the mountains. Difference between bolted sports climbing is that with traditional climbing the rock is clean of any drilled bolts or pegs and climber have to carry his or hers own protection (often as heavy as 3kg) on their harness and find safe placements on the rock to place it.
This requires huge amount of skill, knowledge and practice in order for the climber to be safe when climbing traditional climbs. This type of climbing is much more dangerous then sports climbing and therefore require right amount of skills and knowledge.
Climbing tuition can organise traditional climbing course where we will teach you how to climb safely using your own protection.
This course is recommended as 3 day course.
The cost is £250 per day (2 people)
(min 2 people must be booked to run this course)
What is included
- A full day of climbing instruction and tuition
- Transport to and from the venue
- Equipment (ropes, belay devices, slings, karabiners, wallnuts, friends, cams, hexes, guidebooks, helmets and harnesses)
The Aim of the course
- Solid and safe protection placements using rocks/nuts, friends/camelots, hexes, slings and micro wires
- Building solid and safe stances and belays
- Neat and effective rope work using double ropes
- Correct usage of climbing guide/book and choice of route
- Building an abseil and safe abseiling
- Simple problem solving such as assisted hoist and gear retrieve
What do you need
- Climbing shoes
- Harness and helmet (we can supply)
- Food and drink
- Outdoor clothing including waterproofs and suitable approach shoes
- You don’t need any previous outdoor experience
- You need to know how to lead belay
- You should be confident at leading F5 graded climbs indoors
You will need to book your own accommodation. However I can book the accommodation on request.
Areas we go
- Peak District
- Wye Valley
- Sea Cliffs at Gogarth and Swanage
What happens if it’s too wet
We will choose the area for this rock climbing course according to the best weather. If we are unfortunate enough to have rain, we can still learn building anchors and placing gear from the ground.
How to book
To book your place, please send me an e-mail to: email@example.com and tell me how many people you would like to book, what is your preferred date and what equipment you need.
This outdoor rock climbing course is ideal to book as a two or more days course, to allow sufficient time to learn traditional climbing skills.
If you have any questions about this climbing course please don’t hesitate to call me on
07525 757 535